Monday, February 3, 2014

Antiquated Pleasure

My place of employment has decided to encourage reading by having all employees use a sign to display what they are currently reading.  The idea behind this is that if all can see what is being read, it will encourage others to do more reading and spark conversation about good literature rather than the mundane.  Reading is not the focus of what I do, but I am supporting the idea because I believe that reading is a dying art that helps hold up the efforts of society.  What is our language, but words to convey ideas?  Can you convey all the ideas of your soul with only a handful of words?  So I posted the book I was reading.

But I guess something more needs to be said about reading as a whole.  Books are a wonderful things as they are able to take us to unknown places, explore topics never before understood, have the thrill of adventure (without the danger) and expand horizons beyond our own life experiences.  They provide a way of relaxing without diminishing ourselves.  They increase our vocabulary and help improve our ability to write and speak.  And if that wasn't enough, most of them are pocket-sized or otherwise easy to carry.  Technology has furthered this by giving us entire libraries on one device.

Reading is a pastime that is fading away because we don't have the time, energy or attention.  Yet it is one of the most valuable things we can do in our down time.  I am not voting against movies, TV, video games or other activities, but we ought to try to get more reading time in to supplement these things (that and it is a perfect Sunday activity).

So pick up a book and read!  It can be anything and you will be better for it.  I know I will.

1 comment:

  1. One of the Quests on the Quest Board is Read a Book.

    ReplyDelete